Wadhurst Castle is built on the site of a much older house which was mentioned in records of the 14th Century. It originated as a farmhouse of very simple structure. The Castle stands 550ft above sea level surrounded by parklands, commanding magnificent panoramic views of the gloriously beautiful Sussex countryside to the South and West.
It is a beautiful country house built in the Regency period between 1818 and 1820. It was considerably enlarged in the 1840’s with designs by Edward Buckton-Lamb whose drawings for it were exhibited at the Royal Academy. It was at this time that the Winter Garden was added. As is typical of Lamb’s style of architecture the outside of the castle was embellished with further turrets, odd shaped spires and window tracery.
In 1933 the Castle was badly damaged by fire and the following year the estate was purchased by Alfred Matthews. Matthews was an architect and set about repairing the fire-damaged interior. During the Second World War, the Castle was commandeered for use by the Canadian Army.
In 1955 the Fitzgerald family took possession of the property. On 16th October 1987, like so many country estates in the south-east of England, Wadhurst Castle suffered severe damage from the Great Storm.
The estate is now in the joint ownership of the Fitzgerald and Clough families who have done a great deal to return the gardens and grounds to their former glory. The work continues.